Monday, March 2, 2009

Grrrrr...

Last night I was mixing some biscuits up...trying a new from scratch recipe...and reached over to preheat the oven. While it was beginning to preheat, I heard some strange sounds and saw a really bright light coming from inside my oven. Ummmhmmm...little fire inside my TWO YEAR OLD Frigidaire oven!!! After turning it off and allowing it to cool (after the fire went out, of course), I started snooping inside to see what the heck was going on. Believe it or not, my baking element burned in half. Molten metal (from the element) had dripped down onto the oven floor. I'm just so thankful that I was right beside the oven and noticed it quickly. Needless to say, no biscuits last night...or until we get the oven repaired.

I did a bit of research and found that it should be an easy DIY fix, but that doesn't keep me from being a mit more than miffed that our home could have been destroyed by an almost new, perfectly clean oven. There was no reason for the element to burn in half. So...take home message, do not leave your oven unattended. I know my MIL sometimes puts in a roast then goes to church...if we'd done that, we'd be homeless right now.

They just don't make things like they used to, do they?

6 comments:

Gardeness said...

I'm glad no one got hurt. Good advice as we often do roasts or ribs for hours at a time.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Thank goodness you were close by, as said, and that catastrophe was avoided. New oven, huh? Not even sure if I'd take a free replacement from the same company--I'd hassle them for a while about buying me a good competitor's model... Even if you weren't all-out serious, it'd give the company's lawyers a bit o' perspiration time...LOL!

Glad you're ok, lady.

HermitJim said...

Got an Angel sitting on your sholder, my friend! Glad nothing any worse happened...

Rhino said...

This element failure is common, check that you have the proper size breaker circuit for the oven, It should trip & a small fire should burn itself out, their make to take a lot of heat.Glad everything turned out well

Rhino

Barbara said...

Oh My, I am so thankful your family is okay and that you are not homeless. I would contact the company/manfacturer as it could be a problem they need to be aware of.

MommaofMany said...

I'm so glad you are all safe. Make sure to call the company and complain, and perhaps CPSC, too.

There was an error in this gadget