Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lies, Deception, and Parenthood...

Psst....come closer...I'll tell about how I mislead my wide-eyed, innocent children. Here it is...are you ready for this? I tell them wheat germ is...SPRINKLES!!! Seriously. They frequently ask for sprinkles on their food. Yogurt, applesauce, cereal, oatmeal, whatever. Today, the 6-year-old lit up and started CLAPPING when I took the mason jar out of the fridge and graced her applesauce with *sprinkles*. Shhhhhhhhh...don't tell! You're sworn to secrecy.

For children, it's all in the packaging. The big companies know this. That is why they sell sugar water with a bit of red food coloring for $5 a pop...after all, it's in a cute little Winnie the Pooh sipper bottle!! Sometimes just renaming the food does the trick.

We also eat a whole grain hot cereal that we call "Three Bears' Porridge." They can't get enough of it!

9 comments:

Heather said...

That cracked me up! I am still giggling. You are so right about packaging and making it into something they will eat. Sprinkles is definately something I never thought of. Good job!
-Heather

HermitJim said...

I have to admit...you are a very resourceful lady! What a great idea...

Glad you weren't around when i WAS A KID, OR else I might have grown up liking buttermilk!

Great post!

Organized Nutrition said...

Very cute idea! I know we use some cute words for some foods, but I can't think of what they are right now...LOL! (MOMMY BRAIN MOMENT!)
So happy your kids think that germ is a treat!!!!

The Hills said...

Great idea!!!!! Hmmm....maybe I need to cut out some disney characters to glue on the outside of our wheat germ jar....

Phil said...

Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Love it, Your are very wise.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Gotta love malleable minds!

BTW,the TRIPPLE AWARD can be yours for a lot of keypad work!ha! come see? :D

momstheword said...

I used to call broccoli and cauliflower "little green trees" and "white clouds" in hopes my kids would eat them. Hey, whatever works!

EverydayPrepper said...

I started browsing your site and wasn't sure I was going to make it an everyday read or just a once and awhile read but this post sold me. It's going in Google Reader for the shear funniness. It of course helps that you have a lot of other good info on the site :)