Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fall Harvest Quick Bread


We made some delicious breakfast bread that is so healthy, moist, and not too sweet. I doubled this recipe so I could make some muffins and a loaf of bread.

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. oats
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. oil
1 c. applesauce (unsweetened)
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1 egg

Topping:
2/3 c. oats
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
2 T. butter (softened)
  1. Combine the dry ingredients, mix well. Add wet ingredients, stir just until combined. Batter will be a bit lumpy.
  2. Combine the topping ingredients with a fork. Sprinkle on top of the muffins or bread.
  3. Bake in muffin tins (20 min.) or a loaf pan (60-75 min.) at 400 degrees.
The applesauce and pumpkin add some great nutrients to this bread and all those oats add fiber as well as keeping it moist and adding great texture. We used our own homemade applesauce. Anyone know if you can can your own pumpkin puree? I'd love to get a recipe for doing this.
As you can see, I am a true leader in BBA (Bread Baker's Anonymous)...for those who want to embrace our addiction!

5 comments:

The Hills said...

Looks yummy! I think I'll try it tomorrow!

On the pumpkin puree---nope, not supposed to home can. Has to do with the thickness, as well as the variation, there's no good processing recommendation that can be applied to every jar of pumpkin puree and assure killing of microorganisms. Also, the acidity and all that could allow botulism to thrive if it weren't killed in processing. Here's the link from UGA about it.

I believe you can cube pumpkin (or other winter squashes) and home can it, just don't mash.

Dr. White said...

I did find out that you can freeze pumpkin puree in ice cube trays so that you have nice little squares. I'll just measure how much would be in each ice cube then thaw as needed.

The Hills said...

Freezing would work great! You could probably do 1/8c (same as 2 tbsp) in each cube--easily calculated amount to dish out for recipes!

Organized Nutrition said...

I freeze my pumpkin in 1 C. portions... 1-2 C. is what most of my recipes call for!
Either way, I am wondering what KIND of oil you use for this...
I stopped using oil and not use melted butter alot... and am wondering if you have tried that also.

Dr. White said...

I use Canola Oil. You could try adding 1/2 c. more applesauce. Let me know how it turns out!