Friday, January 9, 2009

Buying Seeds...

Wandering around Ebay today, I found some great deals on seeds. After ordering okra, spinach, and beets from the same seller (Steve), I asked him if the seeds came from his own garden ('cause I'm nosey by nature and also I love to know more about the heritage of the plants I grow). I'd tell you Steve's story, but I'd probably mess it up, so here it is in his own words:

"I try to save all the non-hybrids and heirlooms from our garden unless we are trying something new. Our hybrids I order. We are trying to become as completely self sufficient as we can. I grow for farmers market but the flooding from hurricanes Gustuv & Ike destroyed all our crops, equipment, and greenhouses. So I’m selling some of our extra seeds that I had saved before the losses so we can start all over and am ordering extra big lots so I can try to sell and make a little extra. In the next few weeks, when my new orders arrive, I’ll be listing about a hundred or so new items. We are also hoping to teach our sons. They are both autistic and this might be something they can do later on if they can’t handle a job away from home."

Whattya say we practice the ideas behind Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) from afar. Check out Steve's Ebay site...he's got some great seeds at great prices...and if I've learned anything about homesteading, it's that we all need to stick together and run this race together.

3 comments:

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

i'll be there! i recognize the names, gustav and ike. as a lone star state habitant...count me in!
great beta-- and right in time for ordering season!

C.

Organized Nutrition said...

AH, That would have been a great way to get some seed, tooo bad I was ON THE BALL and ordered everything a few months ago... and finished up the rest just a couple weeks ago.... ONLY need popcorn seeds... everywhere I look they seem to be OUT... UGH!
Can't wait to follow your blog during the gardening season!
I am thinking about starting a new blog about feeding my family of 6 for under $600 HEALTHY foods... trying to prove that you CAN eat healthy on FOODSTAMPS (not that we are on them, but that is ALMOST the max we would get if we were!)

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

hi O.N.-- Tried S.S.E/ Heritage Farms? Please do!

www.seedsavers.org

Good Luck-- and way to stay "on the ball"!