Saturday, June 28, 2008

Scavenging @ the ocean...

While we were on vacation, I picked up a few things for the garden! We found a few beautiful pieces of driftwood. One piece used to be a huge stump of a very old tree. I think she'd be happy in her new home. I'm adding her as an end table in one of our sitting areas...just as soon as I can load it into the riding lawnmower trailer. After a bit of deliberation I decided to let it dry out a bit before trying to move it as it is a bit spongy in places around the edges.
Here are some nice, straight pieces of driftwood that I plan to use as edging. They're so organic...much better than plastic edging, which seems a bit jarring in a natural environment.
These flowers are from a plant my Father-In-Law gifted me...he called them "Mexican Petunias." I don't know if that's the real name, but they are amazing! At least 4 feet tall and they can be dug up and divided every year.

5 comments:

DP Nguyen said...

What a beautiful present from your father-in-law. They really are a wonderful summer flower.

Outer Banks Mom said...

Fantastic! There's really nothing better than driftwood, each piece is unique and always so natural. Have fun!

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Your driftwood looks very good. Can't wait to see how you'll use it. I like your Mexican petunias.~~Dee

Wayward Rock Rescue Foundation said...

Great finds! I am doing a bit of scavenging myself and documenting the finds (all rock) at http://waywardrockrescue.blogspot.com/

It's great to see fellow earthlings being resourceful and finding the beauty in things others haven't found or appreciated yet! Cheers

Eve said...

I love to walk along he beach and pick up things. Especailly after a storm, you can find the oddest, most unique things. I haven't been in a while so it just may be time to get my flip flops and hat and go. : )
I love your mexican petunia.

There was an error in this gadget