Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Humpday Harvest!!!


This is the first of a series of blog entries to be published each and every Wednesday (unless I'm on vacation) detailing harvests from the week. (A good idea, no?)

I dig up potatoes as I need them...I'd say we've harvested around 35 potatoes this week.
We've also harvested enough lettuce and snap peas for 4 family sized salads. (Sorry...no photo...I'll do better I promise!)
Lastly, I ate two delicious blueberries yesterday!! They were so delicious that my resolve to raise my own berries was renewed. I originally planted three blueberry bushes. One did not make it through the nasty, icy winter we had. The other two are so tiny still that I had considered giving up on the great blueberry quest...until yesterday! YUMMY!
(Note: I took a photo of the blueberries, but my camera battery died (DRATS!), so I'll have to post it for you later.)
A bit of exciting news from the West garden...the cantelope are blooming, profusely. I can't wait to sink my teeth into some home grown cantelope! I'll take that over a sticky ol' watermellon anyday! The only problem is that I believe I *may* have overdone my planting. Anyone know how to preserve cantelope??????? :-/

1 comment:

Daphne said...

LOL There is no such thing as too much cantaloupe. I couldn't imagine a way of preserving it - maybe soup? I wouldn't think dried cantaloupe would work at all, but maybe they would. You can always try cantaloupe leather. If you really do have too much, it can't hurt to try.

There was an error in this gadget