Friday, June 6, 2008

What's wrong with this picture?

Look closely...




Here, let me help you...




Those are my pears...on the ground. It is indeed a sad day here on the OAH. My dreams of canning up a bunch of pear preserves have been dashed by the crazy, unpredictable nature of Oklahoma weather. For the past two days we've had windiness here...like DUST BOWL windiness. Then, last night, a storm came. One of those "Head for the fraidy hole!" Oklahoma storms.

According to our trusty weatherman, this baby was preceded by 80 mile an hour straightline winds and had tons of rotation inside the storm. All in all, though I am truly mourning the loss of around 20-25 pears, I'm just happy we didn't sustain more property damage than we did (the pear tree and a few pickets off the fence).



The good news? There's one pear left. He must be a determined little bugger! Let's take a moment now to send happy, healthy pear thoughts to this little guy. He won't make a batch of pear preserves, but it's a start.

A bit more good news? Pete (the bunny) will have some yummy treats over the next few days! Have fun, Pete...next year the pears are all mine!!


(The photographer wishes to apologize for the crappy nature of this photo. Apparently I was focused on the fence behind the actual subject of the shot....my bad.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This wouldn't fall under "June Drop" would it? Sad indeed. I am scared since we have a peach tree booming with peaches and forcasted wind for the next week.

Sorry for your loss. **shakes head**

Alan said...

Looks like the tree survived even though you lost the pears. That bodes well for years to come. When the tree is a bit bigger it should be able to protect a bit more of the fruit in a wind storm. You may even welcome some loss so that the remainder can get larger.

Keep smiling and counting blessings.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, that sucks!

The wind broke a couple of my sugar snap pea plants. I don't count it as a huge loss though, because the peas are slowing down in their production.

DP Nguyen said...

Aww that really sucks about your pears.

Not to worry, in the next few years, you'll have so many pears you won't know what to do with them. My parents' pear trees fruit so much that most of it ends up on the ground. We can't eat all the fruit fast enough. Their tree is about 10 years old now, so you have lots of future fruit to look forward to!

Dr. White said...

Ya'll are so sweet to boost up my spirits! James...I'm checking on June Drop. I'd never heard that term before, but you may be on to something. The wind was fierce, though. A neighbor's roof is going to have to be reshingled because of the damage...ack!

DP...I'm holding you to that promise!