Monday, September 28, 2009

GOODBYE PAPER TOWELS!!

I finally did it!! We've not used paper towels in two weeks, AND I'm finally using all those cloth napkins I've purchased over the years! Check out my new setup:



Ummmhmmmm...that's my paper towel substitute there on the left...looks like a bouquet of fabric, no? Here, take a closer look:



A dear friend of mine over at It Began in Camp 4 once said that sustainable living is much more about frugality for her than anything else...living a sustainable lifestyle saves you $$$$$!! That really resonated with me in many ways. I would like to say that ditching the paper towels was born out of my responsibility to conserve natural resources and all that jazz....but it was really about cash. I hated that we used the towels once then tossed them and we were going through WAY too many rolls each week. It was like throwing $ straight into the trashcan...what a waste.

Of course, we do have to wash these, but I just throw them in with pretty much any load of clothes and they don't really add any bulk to a load...then they hang to dry and get rolled back up and go right back into the basket! I dreaded making this change, but it was soo much easier than I'd expected. Try it....you might like it!

10 comments:

Nell jean said...

I'm just half frugal. I use cloth dish towels for hand drying, paper towels for certain tasks, especially greasy spills.

Amanda @RusticRemnants said...

I've been thinking of making the switch but will likely keep emergency paper towels on hand for the really yucky stuff.

Unknown said...

We've been doing without paper towels and paper napkins for a while and I don't miss them. When I have family over they do but I just hand them over a fabric napkin and move on. For greasy spills, I use the dish cloth and wash it out. To drain fried foods on we use newspaper, turns out it does a great job.

Carmen S. said...

Great post and I would LOVE to do away with paper towels, but I am a candle maker and need them to clean up my wax messes, I do go through alot though :(

Daphne Gould said...

I've gone about 90% over. I still have the paper towels in the kitchen and they occasionally get used, but rarely. A roll can last for months now.

HermitJim said...

I like the way that the cloth napkins look next to the sink! They do indeed look like flowers!

You are just so smart! Thanks...

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Well done. Wish I could let go of my paper towel habit.~~Dee

The Hills said...

Well now you've made me look bad...we still use paper towels! LOL Of course, I'm only buying an 8 pack about twice a year, so we're not using tons of them, I guess. I like your idea though--that's totally doable!!! We have a basket of baby washcloths that we always grab to wash up the toddler after meals, then it goes straight in the laundry...that's just about the same concept only prettier, I like it!

Lowbudget said...

This is a wonderful idea. I just took count of the cloth napkins I have here. I think 12 of them can be used by a family size of 3! I am excited to make the switch. It is interesting how we have most things on hand, but never think to use them in a different capacity. My cloth napkins were always used for decoration on the placemats. It is about time we all start using what we have on hand. We will be amazed at the uses for so many items. Thanks :)

Wishful Acres Farm said...

Yay! We've also been using cloth napkins & towels for several years now. But we always have to keep paper towels for when the grandparents babysit... they complain about having to use cloth. Lol.
Good for you!!