Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Apple Butter Recipe

Apples are on sale again!! Here's the recipe I used last year for Crock Pot Applebutter.

CROCK POT APPLE BUTTER

Put 3 quarts of apples, sliced thin, in a crock pot and cook overnight on high. Next morning, add 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cloves. Cook all day on low. Tastes like old-fashioned apple butter that is cooked in copper kettle.

Here's the one I found for apple pie filling:

APPLE PIE FILLING

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons salt

10 cups water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 drops yellow food coloring
6 pounds apples

Directions:
1. In a large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and water and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and food coloring.
2. Sterilize canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
3. Peel, core, and slice apples. Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
4. Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove air bubbles with a knife.
5. Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.

I bought 18 pounds of apples tonight, so I have to decide whether I want to make apple pie filling, apple butter, or applesauce...decisions, decisions, decisions!

4 comments:

The Hills said...

What are apples down to up there? We have $1/pound if you pick them out and some 3 pound bags for $2.50. I'm waiting for a little bit cheaper---we need to make LOTS more applesauce this year. I checked the date on the last jar and we made it November of last year, so I figure I might have a while longer to wait.

Dr. White said...

They were $2.50 for a 3 lb bag. I'm still hoping to get another load later when the price drops again...I'm with you, though, we needed lots more applesauce so I'm starting now.

MommaofMany said...

I've just bought 80 pounds of apples, and will get the same or more each weekend for the next few weeks. They are .33 a pound right now!

I've done applesauce and fruit roll-ups in the past, and look forward to trying your pie filling recipe later this week. thanks for sharing!

Wishful Acres Farm said...

Yum!
I did apple butter earlier this summer and just recently did two batches of pear butter.
It's so good, isn't it??!!