Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Coop De Ville

I think I've found my coop design. After much debate & discussion...DH and I have finally decided on something like this:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5595010

My dad saved several wooden screen doors from my grandma's house when he tore it down. I hope to build the run around grandma's wooden door. The sound of those doors clap-clap-clapping shut bring back so many memories.

Since we have a huge yard fenced with privacy fence, I think I can clip the chickens' wings and allow them to do some free grazing. If that doesn't work out, I'll come up with a portable run that can be moved around the yard during the day.

DH and I are both college professors, so it really helps that we have summers off to pursue gardening & homesteading efforts. I'm teaching an online class this summer, so I'll get some summer salary and be able to work from home. It's a pretty good compromise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I love the idea of building the Coop De Ville around your Grandmother's screen doors. My chicks free graze during the day entering the coop during the day to lay eggs and back at dusk and up on a perch. I go out right before dark and do a count to make sure everyone is back in the coop and lock them up at night. They know that this is home. Good Luck with your gardening, homesteading and raising Chicks.