Saturday, April 18, 2009

Blueberry Blooms



Growing blueberries has been a real challenge here in Oklahoma, lemmetellya. I know I've murdered at least 4 plants with my hard-headedness. They like full sun, so I always tried to put them out with full exposure to the glowing orb that seems to light Oklahoma on fire in July.

This year, I have a new strategy! I planted three blueberry bushes in the fall right up next to the west end privacy fence. This will give these little beauties a morning of full sun and shade during the hottest parts of the day. They seem very happy here and are just full of blooms! Let's hope these three plants thrive and we are munching fresh blueberries while we tend the flock and weed the garden...yum yum!

I've also heard that they like acidic soil and that you can make them happy by pouring pickle juice on the surrounding soil when you finish a jar. Seems like a great way to add acid and it's FREE! Love it!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I am planning to plant some blueberries this year too! Maybe in the fall. Can't wait to see your harvest!

HermitJim said...

Sounds like a plan to me! Good luck with them!

Organized Nutrition said...

OH, a great easy free thing to help with the soil is COFFEE GROUNDS! (not decafe)...
We don't drink coffee, but friends of mine save theirs and give them to me! You can also ask coffee shops and gas stations!
GOODLUCK! Our little bushes need a few more years!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Pickle-juice, EH??? GOTTA try that one!

Great to see, Lady!